ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Coach Search Rumor Mill No. 2

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
I’m going to start Rumor Mill No. 2 by talking about some guys we are confident are NOT going to get the South Florida job. Before anyone gets super depressed, this is kind of how coaching searches go. It's far easier to eliminate guys that aren't interested at all, or are interested but have better options, than it is to confirm guys that are. There's no real attempt at secrecy if someone isn't a candidate. But if they are, there's a coordinated attempt to lock that down. Let’s face it, one thing Michael Kelly is pretty good at is keeping things quiet during a coaching search. Perhaps even allowing a name to leak out as a diversion.

Anyway, let’s get into the people aren't going to get, or aren't going to take, the job.

Rick Pitino: The grand slam hire is not going to happen for USF. I’m not saying it is a lock to happen for St. John’s but I’m hearing Pitino’s name less and less among my sources. At one point there was mutual interest but it seems that more attractive jobs have caught the Godfather's attention.

Dusty May: The day after we published our hot board, a very reliable source called to say that the only way May would take the USF job is if it involved a “ton” of money. So, May ain’t coming folks. It is sort of like I said in my “Why Not Him,” for May: Can USF get him? The answer is no.

Amir Abdur-Rahim: Prior to publication I was not able to connect with Abdur-Rahim or anyone in his circle to learn his interest in USF. I’ve known him for about six years but that was when he was an assistant and he was quick to respond in those days. It’s difficult to get most head coaches on the phone. His conference championship and trip to the NCAA tournament has made him a flavor of the month coach that high major programs pursue. With Georgia Tech filled and California still trying to get him, more programs could get into the mix with Abdur-Rahim. Especially if Kennesaw State upsets Xavier on Friday.

Win Case: We’ve learned that Case is in the mix at Austin Peay and it might be his job to lose. The Governors fired Nate James five days before USF fired Brian Gregory and are just further along in the process.

Now that that is over, I have two names to mention and both will be on Hot Board v2.0 – Tennessee Associate Head Coach Justin Gainey and Furman head coach Bob Richey (listed alphabetically). Tennessee and Furman are in the NCAA tournament and, it just so happens, both teams will be playing in Orlando. I’ll be in the arena and I’ll keep an eye out for Michael Kelly. A source I spoke with tonight about Gainey, Richey believe that they are pretty high on Kelly’s list.

Richey will be in more demand than Gainey because he is a current head coach. He’s helmed Furman for the past six seasons finishing above 500 both overall and in conference play each season. Richey has a fun play style using mostly 4 Out 1 In and 5 Out Motion Offense. The goal is assisted threes, close twos and free throws.

Gainey does not have head coaching experience but he spent two seasons at NC State, his alma mater, as an administrative coordinator before being bumped up to director of basketball operations. When Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes hired him he said of Gainey, “Justin has a passion for on-court player development.”

Oops, I pressed “Post Thread” too quickly. One other name has been told to me tonight and that is Louisiana head coach Bob Marlin. Ironically, Louisiana is Tennessee’s opponent in Orlando and I smell an upset coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News