ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Where USF Stands Post-NSD

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So USF is at 77 counting scholarship players plus 7 seniors who are coming back or have not said they are not coming back yet to my knowledge. So here is the tricky part and what I discussed with Jeff Scott yesterday, that number if they sign no one else and no one leaves would leave they with just 12 scholarships for 2022. The kids that are juniors today will still be juniors at the end of next season. Everyone is frozen for 2021 except for the newly signed freshmen. Obviously there will be attrition and movement and not all the juniors will stay for their senior year as well. This is the major sticking point and why Scott is trying to blueshirt the two freshmen DTs and possibly Jordan Blackmon as well. If they sign and enroll they'd have 10 ships to play with for 2022 minus attrition. I think most coaches like Scott are also expecting less attrition over the course of 2021 as the market is absolutely flooded with kids right now.

So what will USF look at with remaining spots?

I expect they will kick the tires on experienced RBs and WRs that may enter the portal as well as LBs who can played day one. That is the greatest area of need remaining after addressing the secondary via signings and transfers with three new transfers who will be immediately eligible and the true freshmen plus returning players. Linebacker is still a little thin, quality TE depth (usually very hard to find in the portal). I think Jamari Stewart was a good pickup and Glenn Spencer and his staff did a decent job developing the DL this year and getting a lot out of the guys they had. Only concerning thing I saw was the CB play was way off from last year and they have to replace both starting CBs who declared for the draft. That could be another spot to watch for an opportunistic pickup.

WINS FOR THE BULLS

I think getting Jarren Williams really amps up the QB room and the competition because now you have three alphas with game experience in Williams, Cade Fortin who was hurt all year and Jordan McCloud along with the young guys. I'll be curious to see if someone opts to leave from the younger two QBs, Marsh or Jordan Smith or from that older group especially if Fortin is the odd man out again.

They fixed an issue at safety/nickel adding some good players. That group struggled a lot this past year and they obviously had some guys leave as well so they've upgraded the overall talent in that room.

I love the three receivers they signed out of HS and the Horn kid was a real nice play by the staff working with the HS and their QB of the class to get an early edge and hold off big-name schools.

The offensive line class is okay.

CONCERNS

I still think they are too small at RB, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take another HS back or look at the portal like I said above. There are a lot of interesting backs to me who are going to be available in the transfer market come January.

Linebacker is still not quite where I'd like to see it from a personnel perspective. This has been a multi-year issue for the Bulls so maybe going organic with Ross and Hicks makes more sense long term.

I'm not a fan of blueshirting the two DTs, I think you bring them in and start the clock despite what Scott said on NSD. I think those guys take the longest to develop so if you really want them, bring them in and sign them. They had a spot for at least one with Mamudi's defection anyway.

What do you all think?

Reactions: Craig_ooooh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News