ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS What I'm Hearing: BG extension, recruiting, another departure, and more...

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
The latest I've gathered on the USF basketball situation:

BullsInsider.com previously reported that the interview process for the independent review of the USF men's basketball program is over.

Sources have confirmed to us that Brian Gregory will be the head coach for the USF men's basketball team this season.

Gregory has two seasons remaining on his original contract with USF. Coaches typically don't go into their final two years without an extension, because of the lack of security and how it looks to prospective recruits.

Compounding things next season is a rebuilt roster due to the loss of four of five regular starters, Xavier Castañeda (five starts), Rashun Williams (four starts), Luke Anderson and Madut Akec.

Our sources have also told us that Gregory will be offered an extension with a school-friendly buyout. We expect the contract to be signed by all parties before July 1.

What about Bulls assistant coach Tom Herrion?

Herrion remains on administrative leave pending the outcome of the review. I, like most people who have followed this situation, do not see a pathway for Herrion to remain with the program. To be clear that is not due to any opinion I have formed about Coach Herrion since the allegations were made, I just think that is the reality of the situation.

Another departure?

I'm also hearing that USF Director of Basketball Operations John Janovsky is expected to accept an offer re-join Ben Howland's staff at Mississippi State. Janovsky was with the Bulls staff for one season.

Janovsky was the Director of Scouting and Analytics at Mississippi State for one season. Before that Janovsky served as Stanford’s Director of Operations from 2017-19.

On the recruiting front, Gregory and his coaching staff have been working the transfer wire hard. The Bulls may have lost eight players to the transfer portal, including two seniors who were not expected to return to the program, but Gregory and his staff have signed four players from the portal --
Sam Hines (Denver), Javon Green (George Mason), Jake Boggs (UNC Wilmington), Serrel Smith (East Tennessee State) -- plus JuCo transfer DJ Patrick (Triton College).

While it's been quiet in terms of portal developments lately, the staff has had Zooms with South 6-foot-8, 235-pound South Carolina forward Jalyn McCreary and 6-foot-9, 215-pound New Mexico forward Bayron Matos. Texas State 6-foot-7, 200-pound forward Alonzo Sule told BullsInsider.com that he is scheduled to have a zoom with USF on Friday (4/23). Additionally, Gregory has continued to pursue Tennessee 6 foot 8 219-pound forward Corey Walker Jr. The Bulls head coach spoke with Corey Walker Sr. Wednesday evening.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News