ADVERTISEMENT

What I Saw in the Miami Game....Thoughts On the Offensive Line

bullsgold

Taurus
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Daphne, AL
www.doctordonellis.com
The first thing that I saw in the game...

UM rushed three defensive linemen and got immense pressure on the quarterback. Smart coaching on their behalf to gauge if USF's OL would hold up.

It was serviceable at best.

That being said this was against a Miami team that is already a top FOUR team and very possibly the best team in college football this year.

The way USF was trying to block UM's front line was a lesson in futility. Props to the OL for giving their best against a defensive line likely to have two or three players, along with their linebackers as day one and day two draft picks. We have to remember that our OL's that have P5 experience were fourth or fifth down the talent pool at Tennessee and FSU. They are simply asked to do more than they can absolutely do at this time, and quite frankly, probably not possible to do much better.

What could we have done to help them? Not much. Going with a 12 personnel would have just left us with an even tougher job for our wide receivers to get open. The OL, with the help of the TE's, and the sorry way we use them, is what it is. I also believe a lot of the problem, if not most of it, is a hard headed scheme in running the ball way too much and not letting the WR's get into the game literally and emotionally.

We use WR's as props, not actually weapons.

Reactions: brybull1970
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.