ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Update on staff situations

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Charlie Strong will be on campus Thursday, he is having a presser that morning and will meet with each of the assistant coaches and the will start to be more movement on what will happen with those guys.

Here is what I'm hearing right now.

Shaun King is hoping to stay on with the new staff and wants to stay in Tampa but P5 is P5 and he is grooming himself to a head coach one day.

Donte Pimpleton unlikely to stay post the bowl game. CWT may take him in an off the field role at Oregon.

T.J. Weist many thought was going with CWT to Oregon, but I'm hearing he is pushing to stay and would like to be the OC for Charlie if he can't get Sterlin Gilbert. T.J. of all the assistant coaches probably has the most options right now.

David Reaves could join his former brother in-law and friend Lane Kiffin at FAU, no bad blood there, could stay or could go to Oregon or even a few other stops. He has some flexibility because he can coach several spots on offense as well and is well-connected.

Darren Hiller like Weist's future depends on how Charlie decides to structure his staff. He has some options as well and could end up with Mike Sanford at WKU for example.

Eric Mathies of all the assistants on D, I think he has the best chance of surviving the purge. Mathies could end up in Oregon or back at WKU, Sanford thinks highly of him.

Raymond Woodie is probably in a tough spot. Brian Jean-Mary will coach LBs and probably be Strong's DC, that leaves little wiggle room here. I don't see WKU being an option, but CWT may want to bring a friend to Oregon.

Alonzo Hampton is probably going to end up coaching in HS again per my sources.

Names to keep an eye on

Brian Jean-Mary I expect will be the DC/LB coach.

OC/QB Sterlin Gilbert and OL Matt Mattox are in play as a duo at Ole Miss, LSU and possibly Notre Dame so they may not end up here. There were on Charlie's staff at Texas.

Another name to keep an eye on is Steve Spurrier Jr. who is at Oklahoma as a QA right now. Coached WRs for the Gamecocks and knows Charlie very well.

I'll update as I learn more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News