ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders and Prime Prep Academy

TFabrizio

Brahman
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2021
So... Concerning Prime Prep Academy, there's a lot of focus on the messenger (McMurphy) and not so much on the message. But it would be irresponsible for USF not to vet the information. The school was a disaster scholastically and financially. The Dallas Morning News documents this in The Spectacular Collapse of Dion Sanders' Prime Prep Academy and subsequent coverage. There's a trail of civil lawsuits and a criminal investigation (albeit, not specifically against Sanders).

Somebody here suggested that Sanders only lent his brand to the school and others were responsible for the gross mismanagement. Sanders co-founded the school, and extensive media coverage shows he was closely entwined and at times was the front man. How crazy did it get? The Dallas Observer reports that Sanders was accused by three school officials of trying to strangle them. The Observer claims to have audio of Sanders admitting that he choked the school's COO. I couldn't make out the audio, but they provide a transcript that you can read through the above link. The Washington Post considered the allegations credible enough to link to another Observer report saying that one of the school employees allegedly choked by Sanders is suing. The Post also tells the story of DeMarcus Peterson, a Prime Academy grad who received a scholarship to Texas Southern to run track. Peterson had his scholarship revoked because it was determined he was academically ineligible. Peterson is quoted in the Post story as saying, "I was told that because of the classes that I had took and Deion Sanders' school - that he had built, that he created, that he told us would be accredited, which it wasn't - those classes, unfortunately, did not count," Peterson quit the team, went to work as a lifeguard, and finished school $35,000 in debt, according to the story.

There were reports of teachers giving out quizzes with the answers already on them and students using school-issued laptops for cheating. "Students would come to class, especially football players, and class was just like recess," Peterson told the Washington Post. "It was just so easy and the teacher, he just didn't care. It was like we just wanted to pass everybody and get get everybody out of there."

I don't know whether the Prime Academy scandals are disqualifying as to Sanders' suitability to coach at USF. Obviously, Sanders was cleared enough to be hired at Jackson State. But as I see it, they're red flags in a sea of red flags. Hiring Sanders would pose a great risk for embarrassment to USF. For many schools, the potential reward would be worth the risk. But USF has made great gains in its reputation with its recognition for preeminence as a research school and other advances. This is not a good match.

A couple of questions unrelated to Prime Prep Academy: Sanders has indicated he wants to bring his assistant coaches to his next job. Would that preclude hiring the best available OC/DC and position coaches? If Sanders were to bring Shedeur to play quarterback, what would that mean for Gerry Bohanon and the very promising Byrum Brown? Would they stick around?

There's a lot more to consider than what's been posted to date.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News