ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Coach Search Rumor Mill No. 5

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
What. A. Day.

I’m sorry I haven’t been on the board for a while, but about 90 minutes ago the transfer portal finally slowed down enough for me to communicate with various sources.

What’s going on with Mike Brey?

From what I can tell, Brey was VPMK’s choice but something has come up that is preventing the deal to come to fruition. Whatever that something is, I’ve been told that it is not lack of interest by either party. In fact, one source claims that Brey-to-USF appeared done more than a week ago. Nonetheless, what appeared to be on its way to happening now appears that it will not be. Which, judging by the reaction of Florida high school and AAU power brokers, might be a good thing for USF.

Earlier today I reached out to the sources who told me that Brey would be the hire. I was only able to connect with one of them and he maintains that Brey “is what I was told.”

One of the coach candidates texted me to ask what I was hearing. I called him but he did not answer. I’ll try again in a few.

Two sources have told me that Chris Capko interviewed for the job last week. One of those sources also said that Justin Gainey, Brey and Florida Gators associate head coach Korey McCray have interviewed.

This was the first time I’ve ever heard McCray’s name mentioned in this coach search. I first connected with McCray when he was at Mississippi State. He also spent time as an assistant at LSU, UCLA and Mercer (his alma mater). This season was his first in Gainesville.

Another source is confident that CY, Capko and Gainey have interviewed for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News