ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Bulls Staff Hits Recruiting Trail 10/1

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
Monday is typically an "off day" for the USF Men's Basketball program and since we are in a "recruiting period" the staff is taking advantage of the off day to hit the trail and see some prospects. NCAA rules permit the coaches to have contact with seniors and juniors, but they can only observe sophomores and freshmen go through workouts or participate in open gyms.

Coach Dixon: While texting with 2021 Oak Ridge guard Jalen Smith yesterday (he unofficially visited on Saturday) he mentioned that Coach Dixon might be coming to watch the team workout today. I am actually trying to get over to Oak Ridge today myself.

In addition to Smith, Oak Ridge has a freshman (class of 2022) guard named Lewis Jones that I have seen briefly and want to see much more of.

Coach Wagers: He is expected at Central Pointe Christian Academy (Kissimmee) to watch their team workout. The prize at CPCA is 2020 SG Victor Rosa, but 6-foot-7 class of 2020 forward Jonathan Aybar also has a chance. My plan is to visit CPCA on Tuesday.

Coach Herrion: After texting with several kids this weekend, Coach Herrion has the busiest schedule of the staff. He is expected to see 2020 Westminster Academy SF Dudley Blackwell (4-stars, ranked No. 110), 2020 Somerset Academy PG Brandon Garcia, 2020 St. Andrews School (Boca Raton) forward Yussif-Basa-Ama, 2020 University School guard Roger McFarlane (3-stars, ranked No. 141) and while he's at U-School Herrion will also see the Howard Twins (Jace a class of 2020 SF and Jett a class of 2022 guard). The Howard Twins are both very talented, but Jett has the makings of being a big time prospect. Their dad is Juwan Howard.

Garcia and Basa-Ama have been on campus before. Garcia was in Tampa twice this summer for the Team Camp and again for the Elite Camp. Basa-Ama was at the Elite Camp in 2017 but was unable to attend this year. Blackwell has never been on campus to my knowledge. He is an uber athlete whose skills are beginning to catch up to his athleticism. He is a good passer, and Westminster Academy has used him as a "point forward" at times, but his decision making does need to improve.

Coach Gregory: I was texting with 2019 SF Jamir Chaplin (3-stars, ranked No. 36 SF in his class) last night and he said that CBG was coming to see him today. Chaplin is the prospect who, on May 1, tweeted that USF offered. Less than 24 hours later he had deleted the tweet. He has received HM interest from Clemson and Auburn but Georgia Tech is his only HM offer, and he is not likely their priority at the position.

Bottom line is the head coach is coming to see Chaplin so something is brewing. Possibly an invite to visit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News