ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS 🚨Caleb Murphy 🚨

Joey Knight:
"Murphy was named to the American Athletic Conference all-freshman team two seasons ago before asserting himself as a perimeter cornerstone this season."

Is that accurate?

Murphy is making a mistake leaving. He is no perimeter cornerstone. He averaged 11.4 ppg. Murphy has outstanding speed, quickness and ball handling skills. He isn't as strong as he needs to be to be a top drawer player in the AAC. Maybe he could have been next season. He is dreaming if he thinks the NBA will come calling. If he transfers to a P5 team of any ability, he is looking at coming off the bench. His best chance to develop is right here at USF. The fact he left his team mates when they needed him shows that Murphy is all about Murphy. I'm disappointed in Caleb. This decision will come back to haunt him imo.

He has enough ability to earn a living in Europe, South America or China, but he's going to have to work hard to reach that level. It won't be given to him. Once he leaves college, no one will be kissing his ass.

Reactions: bullsgold
Two guards transferred after last year and had better offensive campaigns this past season than they did at USF. I don’t think BG is developing any pro-caliber guards any time soon.

This is a coach who has had one year with a KenPom adjusted offensive rating better than 137th in his last eleven seasons as a HC.

Murphy is making a mistake leaving. He is no perimeter cornerstone. He averaged 11.4 ppg. Murphy has outstanding speed, quickness and ball handling skills. He isn't as strong as he needs to be to be a top drawer player in the AAC. Maybe he could have been next season. He is dreaming if he thinks the NBA will come calling. If he transfers to a P5 team of any ability, he is looking at coming off the bench. His best chance to develop is right here at USF. The fact he left his team mates when they needed him shows that Murphy is all about Murphy. I'm disappointed in Caleb. This decision will come back to haunt him imo.

He has enough ability to earn a living in Europe, South America or China, but he's going to have to work hard to reach that level. It won't be given to him. Once he leaves college, no one will be kissing his ass.
Caleb Murphy is not all about Caleb Murphy.

You can take my word for it or not but, according to a source with knowledge of how this went down, one of Caleb parents is essentially pulling Caleb out of school.

If Caleb strictly made a "me decision" he would have entered the portal within days of the Bulls loss to UCF in the AAC Tournament on March 10.

That it took until April 4 is likely an indication that Caleb and his family were not in agreement but ultimately one parent got their way.

Be disappointed that this happened, I know I am, but don't be disappointed in Caleb.

You can take my word for it or not but, according to a source with knowledge of how this went down, one of Caleb parents is essentially pulling Caleb out of school.

If Caleb strictly made a "me decision" he would have entered the portal within days of the Bulls loss to UCF in the AAC Tournament on March 10.

That it took until April 4 is likely an indication that Caleb and his family were not in agreement but ultimately one parent got their way.

Be disappointed that this happened, I know I am, but don't be disappointed in Caleb.

I figured a parent was involved. They did this young man no favor. Like the mother who's son was always out of step in the band. She says "Look everyone in the band is out of step but my son," LOL !!!! I imagine the things written on this board didn't do anything to help USF. Thanks Bry.

I've been right about Kelly and Gregory for the past 3 years. Glad to see most of the rest of you finally catching up!

Last edited:
I figured a parent was involved. They did this young man no favor. Like the mother who's son was always out of step in the band. She says "Look everyone in the band is out of step but my son," LOL !!!! I imagine the things written on this board didn't do anything to help USF. Thanks Bry.
Put it on me if you want, but as I have said before this is a great move for Murphy - he is going nowhere fast under Gregory and now still has 2+.years to land with a coach that can develop him. He's not ready for the NBA now but by leaving he has taken a critical first step towards that goal.

The players Gregory are recruiting now likely know that he is a net negative on their development which will only hamper his ability to recruit. This likely ends badly for USF MBB since Kelly thinks that more of this disaster (Gregory's extension) is what is needed.

At what point does losing, talented players transferring and alienating your fan base to priority over "consistency and stability"?

Reactions: tsulliv2

Hope it works out for him because if it doesn’t there could be a lifetime of resentment on his part towards his parent. Parent should not make that kind of decision for their son.

And I thought going to college was a privilege. Russ, Caleb is a nice kid, but when any player leaves in a system that allows them to take the easiest angle, it simply almost never works out. He thinks he's an NBA player because people have told him he has the skills, but Murphy is going to go to a program when the situation is going to be an easier journey for him, or, at least he thinks.

Put it on me if you want, but as I have said before this is a great move for Murphy - he is going nowhere fast under Gregory and now still has 2+.years to land with a coach that can develop him. He's not ready for the NBA now but by leaving he has taken a critical first step towards that goal.

The players Gregory are recruiting now likely know that he is a net negative on their development which will only hamper his ability to recruit. This likely ends badly for USF MBB since Kelly thinks that more of this disaster (Gregory's extension) is what is needed.

At what point does losing, talented players transferring and alienating your fan base to priority over "consistency and stability"?
The only sport struggling under ADMK is basketball. Football is a work in progress and this is a big season for him and Scott, however a strong foundation is being built. You can keep blabbering about not firing Charlie Strong after year two despite having an overall winning record, but NO AD was going to fire a coach under these circumstances, especially in a cash poor program like USF.

Kelly's only mess right now is CBG. None of us understand the faith he has in Gregory....and it may cost him dearly down the road. There is more that meets the eye here...and either is a well kept secret OR nobody is reporting it. Either way, if football and basketball have another poor season next year, Kelly is going to be under tremendous heat.

IMO, just speculating ... The reason to keep him is strictly financial, based on the lack of public knowledge about his compensation package. Again, something is not right.

Russ - any early rumblings where Murphy might wind up?

Any chance he returns?

Based on some things I heard last night and this morning I think it is highly unlikely that Murphy transfers. What I'm hearing is that Murphy is trying to go pro and that his family always believed he was a two-and-done player.

One source told me that Murphy is in Chicago right now working out in the hopes of securing a pro contract somewhere.

Reactions: usf94
Russ - any early rumblings where Murphy might wind up?

Any chance he returns?
I was told not to expect Murphy to transfer to another school and that he asked BG about returning to USF.

Source said BG told him that he absolutely could return as long as he did the things required to retain his college eligibility. However, in the next breath, that source said that Murphy is trying to go pro so he doesn't see him returning.

I was told not to expect Murphy to transfer to another school and that he asked BG about returning to USF.

Source said BG told him that he absolutely could return as long as he did the things required to retain his college eligibility. However, in the next breath, that source said that Murphy is trying to go pro so he doesn't see him returning.
If someone is telling Caleb Murphy that he is a draftable prospect, that person does not have Caleb's best interests at heart. Caleb does not appear on any top-100 list, and his lack of free throw shooting makes him unsignable in Europe. I'm really not trying to dump on Caleb, but I'm not very convinced he could make a G-League roster right now. The name of the game these days is three point shooting. There just aren't any GMs or pro coaches out there who are interested in a mid-range jump shooter who can't hit free throws.

LaQuincy Rideau was statistically better than Murphy in just about every measure, but still a bad FT shooter, and Q's first European gig was in the Luxembourgish league, and he's now in Slovenia. Unless Caleb is ready to spend the next decade as basketball vagabond in smaller countries in Europe, Asia, and South America, he needs to stay in college and prove that he can hit 3s.

Reactions: usf94 and bullsgold
If someone is telling Caleb Murphy that he is a draftable prospect, that person does not have Caleb's best interests at heart. Caleb does not appear on any top-100 list, and his lack of free throw shooting makes him unsignable in Europe. I'm really not trying to dump on Caleb, but I'm not very convinced he could make a G-League roster right now. The name of the game these days is three point shooting. There just aren't any GMs or pro coaches out there who are interested in a mid-range jump shooter who can't hit free throws.

LaQuincy Rideau was statistically better than Murphy in just about every measure, but still a bad FT shooter, and Q's first European gig was in the Luxembourgish league, and he's now in Slovenia. Unless Caleb is ready to spend the next decade as basketball vagabond in smaller countries in Europe, Asia, and South America, he needs to stay in college and prove that he can hit 3s.
Very solid post.

Reactions: usf94 and USF_Dave

Fact is he didn't want to leave. His mom/dad made him so he didn't think it was the right move for him. Time will tell if they made the right decision or f'ed up his future. Imo he needs to go to a mid major not a high major team. I don't know if he would excel or not at a HM, but I think he'd be better off at a MM that showcase his athleticism.

Russ, is there any chance that he'd come back to USF?

Thanks Russ! This makes more sense because if he truly meant he loved his teammates and the school, he'd still be here. This is a bad idea and I feel like he got some bad advice.

Reactions: usf94
The only sport struggling under ADMK is basketball. Football is a work in progress and this is a big season for him and Scott, however a strong foundation is being built. You can keep blabbering about not firing Charlie Strong after year two despite having an overall winning record, but NO AD was going to fire a coach under these circumstances, especially in a cash poor program like USF.
So football isn't struggling? Sorry can't let that go....he has 3 wins in 2 seasons and 2 of the 3 vs fcs teams. If these past few years aren’t struggling WTF is?

Reactions: brybull1970
So football isn't struggling? Sorry can't let that go....he has 3 wins in 2 seasons and 2 of the 3 vs fcs teams. If these past few years aren’t struggling WTF is?
I think what 94 was implying is that there are reasons for hope in football. Obviously they struggled mightily the past two years, but I think we can all see that a plan is being implemented. Whether the plan bears fruit is the million dollar question. In basketball, however, I don't even see a plan. Just more of the same with different guys in the uniform walking the same archaic system and laying more bricks than a mason.

I think what 94 was implying is that there are reasons for hope in football. Obviously they struggled mightily the past two years, but I think we can all see that a plan is being implemented. Whether the plan bears fruit is the million dollar question. In basketball, however, I don't even see a plan. Just more of the same with different guys in the uniform walking the same archaic system and laying more bricks than a mason.
^this^

Football is finally doing what it needed to do during our BigEast days to build a solid foundation. the IPF and OCS are beyond pretty renderings and turning into reality, especially when it was reported this morning that the Vinicks are donating $5M toward the OCS. Don't want to turn this into a ADMK thing....but its is clear that athletic department was doing their homework over the last 3 years. They just needed the BOT/President to buy into the idea, b/c its been lightning speed since Weatherford turned the IPF announcement into a OCS surprise. By USF standards, the promise that they will have a financial plan by early June is just freaking amazing. That kind of turnaround time requires leadership and trust in that leader.

Hoops....is just a mess. CBG has great facilities, among the best in the AAC and as good as many P5 schools. The program could always use more infrastructure support, but the biggest problem is getting the head coaching position right. There is enough support and interest to win at USF. Its just not going to happen under the current staff...and we are all puzzled about why it has not been let go.

ADMK is not a stupid guy....so there HAS to be more to the story than is being reported.

Ok, I agree facilities and investments are finally trending in the right direction in football. That said to me the program is still struggling mightily and the future upgrades don't necerraily mean the performance will turn around....look at Mens hoops and what you wrote about CBG having.

Let's hope the coaching changes and the transfers pan out or we will all be wondering why MK extended CJS and we are stuck with him...or maybe stuck with all 3 of them. I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I think I need new glasses or something because my green and gold ones aren't working as well as they used to...

I can’t see Caleb getting decent pro opportunities right now. However, I don’t think this is where he’ll get the help he needs to get to that level either. Transferring is probably the best option but that doesn’t seem to be on the table for him at the moment.

That said to me the program is still struggling mightily
Good point about what facilities have done for hoops? Legit question.

Football just feels different, b/c other than the headscratcher against Tulane we were fairly competitive in most games. The expectation is not unreasonable to be over 0.500 or better next season. I guess I am of the mindset that you can't blame Scott for the mess he inherited, especially in football where it takes longer to resuscitate a dead program. Scott has to win on the field, but with the facilities, local talent and $$$ commitment USF is making we'll get good coaches interested, if a change needs to be made.

In contrast, does anyone expect us to do better than 8-10 wins again?

Losing Murphy is a bad start to the off-season. The staff looks to remain the same and the team seemed to get worse down the stretch, not better. Football, other than the Tulane disaster, got better every game, even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard.

I get your point -- but IMO, hoops and football are at completely different points in the rebuild process.

Reactions: tsulliv2

Amen, but at the moment USF is also not the best place for Caleb either. He needs pure shooters around him to accentuate his strengths of dribble penetration, and that will also help his outside shooting too. In this system, with the players around him at the moment; Caleb won't be able to reach his potential.

Good point about what facilities have done for hoops? Legit question.

Football just feels different, b/c other than the headscratcher against Tulane we were fairly competitive in most games. The expectation is not unreasonable to be over 0.500 or better next season. I guess I am of the mindset that you can't blame Scott for the mess he inherited, especially in football where it takes longer to resuscitate a dead program. Scott has to win on the field, but with the facilities, local talent and $$$ commitment USF is making we'll get good coaches interested, if a change needs to be made.

In contrast, does anyone expect us to do better than 8-10 wins again?

Losing Murphy is a bad start to the off-season. The staff looks to remain the same and the team seemed to get worse down the stretch, not better. Football, other than the Tulane disaster, got better every game, even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard.

I get your point -- but IMO, hoops and football are at completely different points in the rebuild process.
Kinda disagree on the competitive perspective in football. I agree there were moments we stayed in games, but most of those games were against poor teams. I also can't forget that in most games teams were staring at a team that wasn't competitive for the last three years and they didn't bring their A game. Do I really believe Cinci last season played close because of how competitive we were or because they played tight and not to lose more than to win? Going into that game we were 7 and 31 dating back to our last 38 games. If I am Cinci I am not to worried about losing that game. There were also games like UF, and BYU who had blow-outs heading into the 4th quarter and took their proverbial foot off the gas and our boys scored some points to make it look better.

I also hate this constant credo of 'can't blame Scott because he inherited a mess'....but how much of a mess did he inherit? Strong managed to beat BYU that went bowling his final year, and won 4 games with losses by a margin of 23.22ppg, (keeping in mind he was on his way out the final two games of that season and had lost his starting QB by the 4th game so the last two games got way out of hand, but he lost 3 by 10pts or less so he was a few mistakes away from winning 7 games that year). We fired Strong for doing that since that is what real programs do after 3 years in football and hoops they fire underperforming coaches. While last season Scott managed to win 2 games against horrible programs, with a margin of loss of 18.2, and losing to some really bad programs. Looks to me like he hasn't be able to find the reverse button more than anything he inherited.

Give him this year but after last season, with what he has returning he better be able to muster 6 wins. That's not asking a lot, and honestly a reasonable request of a coach in his third full year of coaching.

Reactions: Rob-Bull
They're better than Georgetown, but that's about all I can say. It certainly doesn't seem like an upgrade over his situation at USF, where he would have been the focal point of the program. I've never been to DePaul's campus, but while Chicago is cool, the winter isn't exactly the time of year that you want to be there. Beyond that, it looks like they took three more 3s per game than us and their primary guards and wings each took at least two per game. I feel like if he ends up at DePaul that he got bad advice.

Bit of a lateral conference move, huh? Sorry but I didn’t know DePaul was struggling so much.
LOL what?

The BE had six of its 11 teams in the NCAA Tournament. Three of them were No. 5 seeds or better.

Also, DePaul hired a new head coach. Last season was his first and the team improved from five wins to 15 wins. They had victories over three teams that played in the NCAA Tournament (Rutgers, Seton Hall and Marquette). DePaul also won at Louisville and at eventual NIT Champion Xavier.

I'm interested in seeing how year No. 2 goes for coach Stubblefield.

Last edited:
His Twitter field has DePaul emblem with Blue demons talk to me quote. It is from May 4th but there has been nothing since. Like I said hint.

His Twitter field has DePaul emblem with Blue demons talk to me quote. It is from May 4th but there has been nothing since. Like I said hint.
Gotcha. Thanks. I think that was when he visited DePaul.

I'm interested in seeing how year No. 2 goes for coach Stubblefield.
Leitao, Purnell, and Wainwright weren't bad coaches. I haven't really followed them since the conference split except for the CBI final, but in the BE days, DePaul was way behind everyone else. Have they upgraded their investment to meaningfully compete?

Leitao, Purnell, and Wainwright weren't bad coaches. I haven't really followed them since the conference split except for the CBI final, but in the BE days, DePaul was way behind everyone else. Have they upgraded their investment to meaningfully compete?
I'm not a Leitao fan. His second tour at DePaul wasn't nearly as successful as his first tour. It's only been a year since he was fired but he may not get another D1 a head coach job.

Purnell only won more than 3 BE games once. Hasn't been a head coach since DePaul fired him.

I had never heard of Jerry Wainwright before your post. I had to look him up. He's 75 years old so he probably won't ever coach again.

IIRC, DePaul hired a new AD who hired Stubblefield who hired a pretty good staff that's built to recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT