ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING USF in hot pursuit of Tennessee transfer

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
Early this morning in another thread I posted that "I've got to get some more intel on Tennessee transfer Corey Walker Jr. If he wants to be a Bull that could be the difference between 11 or 12 scholarship players."

Well, I got some more intel.

I spoke with Corey Walker Sr. this evening while he was watching one of his AAU team practice and he said "Coach Gregory or Coach Wagers calls every day." In fact, during our conversation Bulls assistant coach Scott Wagers called Walker Sr. CBG was the first coach to contact Walker Sr. when his son entered the transfer portal.

He went on to say that USF and Xavier are the two schools that he is hearing from the most. UCF has also made contact and so has Middle Tennessee State. His son is still in Knoxville, TN finishing up final exams this week. Walker Sr. plans to drive up to Knoxville on Friday and bring his son back home to Hastings, Fla.

Walker Jr. was a top-100, four-star prospect who BullsIllustrated.com first saw when he attended Bishop Snyder (Jacksonville. Fla.) and finished at Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va).

According to Walker Sr., his son redshirted during his freshman year on Rocky Top due to a broken toe he sustained right before the season began and Covid.

Walker Sr. said that Middle Tennessee State "seems to be falling apart. Their coach might be leaving." As for USF, Walker Sr. said that he knows they had a "situation" and that is something he and his wife will talk about with Walker Jr. when he is back home.

USF was involved with Walker Jr. prior to him committing to Tennessee and had him on campus for the USF Elite Camp in 2019. So, an established relationship and USF's interest is clear. At this point in time it does not appear that USF is actively recruiting anyone else to add to the 2021-22 roster.

So, unless that changes the Bulls will either have 12 scholarship players, including Walker Jr. Or 11 scholarship players without Walker Jr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News