ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Favorite USF Football Assistant Coaches

usf94

Taurus
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2016
What are your Top 5 football assistant coaches/coordinators in USF history?

** Note: head coaches are not in scope.

Below are my top 5 off the top of my head. Probably 'brain-farting'/missing on some coaches, but these are the guys I recall as being effective coaches and recruiters and 'fun' personalities. Who doesn't remember Weist's post game 'dancing' in the locker room video? :)

In no particular order, although Coach Wally would be my solid #1

1. Wally Burnham - DC/LB: best position coach in USF history
2. Kevin Patrick - DL/DE: look at the guys he put in the NFL
3. Rich Rachel - DB: always a fun interview and produced smart, well-prepared players
4. Shaun King - RB/QB: program first kind of guy and ambassador of USF football; effective - got a raw deal IMO; Scott should have found a way to keep him on staff in some capacity
5. TJ Weist - WR: our receiving corp have not been the same since he left; well liked by his players and coached them up to be great blockers and probably best set of hands in program history

Honorable mentions:
  • Greg Frey - OL: good recruiter and really a pioneer in spread zone blocking schemes
  • Lawerence Dawsey - great recruiter with a productive WR unit
  • Vernon Hargreaves - ST: haven't had a better special teams coach
  • Steve Shankweiler - OL: under-rated caoch under Skippy; had an eye for OL talent; lots of Willie's eventual success is due to players he identified and recruited along the OL
  • Chico Canales - will be remembered for his Voodoo nonsense, but his overall body of work of maximizing offensive talent during the early days is noteworthy
  • Brian St Jean - DC/LB: given time he would been a great coach here; players respected him but seem handcuffed in the Charlie's approach and didn't get a chance to coach with a full-deck of quality LBs.

Reactions: bullpride9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News