ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Picking USF's early schedule game by game

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I thought it would be interesting to pick each game and see where I thought the Bulls end up at the end of year one with Alex Golesh. Feel free to respond with your picks

SOUTH FLORIDA
Sat., Sept. 2 at Western Kentucky

Loss, but this will be an interesting game as WKU has a tweaked offense this year with a new OC. The OC was Mike Leach's right-hand guy at Miss State who I think is an up and coming coach Drew Hollingshead, but they have their starting QB back Austin Reed.

Sat., Sept. 9 Florida A&M

Win, they need to win this game and that program is a giant mess right now, but they always have some talent

Sat., Sept. 16 Alabama

Loss, horrible mismatch on every level

Sat., Sept. 23 Rice *

Win, Mike Bloomgren is entering year six at Rice and he has yet to post a winning record though they've been incrementally better each year as a poor man's Dave Clawson thing. They made a bowl as a replacement team at 5-7 and lost last year. The only team they beat with a winning record was UAB with an interim coach last year. I think they could steal this at home

Sat., Sept. 30 at Navy *

Win, Navy is a mess of a program right now

Sat., Oct. 7 at UAB *

Loss but really no clue, UAB has decent talent, but they hired Trent Dilfter who is a huge gamble as a coach. I guess I'll pencil this in as a loss on the road and could swap with the Rice game.

Sat., Oct. 14 Florida Atlantic *

Win, This is another game where I have zero feel with a new head coach in Tom Herman who was great at Houston and underachieving at Texas. I'll actually give the edge to USF here because I like the QB options much more than what FAU is rolling with.

Sat., Oct. 21 at UConn

Loss, I hate Jim Mora Jr. but I'll give the guy credit, he coached his ass off last year. On the road in possible colder weather, I'll give the edge to the Huskies.

Sat., Nov. 4 at Memphis *

Loss, Ryan Silverfield hasn't impressed me at Memphis yet, but they are a solid team that other than Miss State last year were within a play or two of having a much better record. They had four losses by one score or less including a 4-OT loss to ECU and they should've beat UCF.

Sat., Nov. 11 Temple *

Win, again this is a giant mess of a program in a rebuild with a coach who may be in over his head. Hiring Everett Withers as his new DC didn't fill me with confidence and I say that with two friends on that staff right now.

Fri., Nov. 17 at UTSA *

Loss, on the road on a shortened week against one of the strongest G5 teams is a bad recipe for USF. UTSA is 23-5 the last two seasons and four of the five losses came to top 25 teams...

Sat., Nov. 25 Charlotte *

Win, I think when you have a guy playing fantasy football with college students like Biff Poggi is doing it is going to be an ugly lesson.

I think USF could win six games this year and that would make Alex Golesh AAC COY. The worst case is probably 3-9

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News