ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Local Class of 2021 Name To Know

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
In late February I got a tip about two sophomores at Seffner Christian that I should watch. As you can probably imagine, I get this kind of "tip" pretty frequently, but given the source I decided to go to the 4A Regional final at Seffner and that turned out to be a good decision.

Meet 6-foot-4, class of 2021 wing Willie Jones (not the best pic, but it's all I have)

5c815431b237e-WillieJones01.jpg
Jones sat for most of the first half after picking up two personal fouls. He had zero points in the half. When he returned in the second half Jones hit two three-pointers the first two times the ball was passed to him. Then he hit a long two-pointer and another three-pointer. Kid was on fire and finished with 13 points, all in the second half. He has decent length, a good frame, a good motor and seems very coachable. I've only seen him play once but he has Division I prospect written all over him.

After the game I told Jones that he may be the best kept secret in Hillsborough County.

Last night in the 4A semifinals at Lakeland, Jones' rep grew some more when he scored 23 points, had 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. He played all 32 minutes. He did his damage inside the arc, only attempting 2 three-pointers (he made 1), and shooting 10-of-16 for the game.

Today I learned that Seffner Christian had a two-hour practice in Yuengling Center earlier this week, to prepare for the bigger court and deeper/wider shooting background that R.P. Funding Center has in Lakeland. So, Jones has been on campus and seen the USF facilities.

If Jones plays well at the one "live period" in April, he could land on the USF radar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News