ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Jeff Scott Media Avail 3/16

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
OPENING STATEMENT:

Good afternoon hope everybody's doing well. I want to start off by congratulating coach Fernandez and our women's basketball team on winning the conference championship and excited about watching them play on Sunday night against Washington State should be a lot of fun, so it's been, it's been awesome to watch them here. This year, having a great year and looking forward to watch him in the tournament. Today was our 10th spring practice. So, you know, really proud of our guys so far, another good day, did some competitive work, we did a little bit of a four minute at the end just work in different situations. And, you know, obviously, things that last year without having spring practice you know we missed a lot of the situational football opportunities, but we're kind of mixing that in as we go and we'll get back after it Thursday and have our last kind of half scrimmage on Saturday.

This past Saturday scrimmage really was kind of the opposite of the first scrimmage defense got off to a great start. I think our defense held the offense for seven consecutive drives and really came out with more intensity of fire and you're probably was the best that I've seen our defense plays since I've been here for those first seven series of scrimmage. And then, you know, offense, I was proud to see the way they responded to not having the success that they obviously wanted to have it really came out and we had some explosive plays in the passing game. A couple explosive runs in the running game and was very competitive scrimmage, and the best part was we were able to stay healthy. So you know, really proud of where we are through 10 days, and looking forward to a strong finish here over the next week and a half.

ON WHICH QB IMPROVED THE MOST FROM SCRIMMAGE 1 to 2

Now I would probably say Jaron Williams, you know, Jaron is a talented player, obviously, you know, he kind of had the most to learn from all the quarterbacks coming in, especially compared to Cade and Trey (Marsh), just learning the offense when he got here and also he missed last fall, so they didn't play football last fall to junior college where he was, you know, felt like, you know, the first week or so he was a little bit rusty and wasn't as clean as they wanted to be and I think he really took a big step in this second scrimmage. On Saturday, and then, you know, Trey Marsh continues to do really well got a great arm and Kate is has been very consistent, and, you know, Timmy all he does is make plays. I mean I don't know that anybody's really tackled him yet, but he gets out there in the open field, he's tough to to contain so I've been really good group I'm excited for everybody to get an opportunity to come out to our Spring Game on 27th at 12 noon, and watch this four quarterbacks compete because I think everybody's going to be really pleased with what they see from our quarterbacks and we truly do have a great quarterback competition.

ON WILLIAMS KNOCKING RUST OFF AT QB AFTER NOT PLAYING LAST YEAR

He is just being comfortable understanding, you know what he's doing, understanding what everybody else is doing understanding our protections, and then like you said, just being comfortable in those live bullets are coming right you can do all the quarterback drills that you want. But until you get back out there on the field and you got linemen in front of you guys work sort of in your face and you're having to move and kind of grow at different angles. That's a whole different deal so I just felt like he looked a lot more comfortable Saturday than maybe where he was in the first scrimmage.

ON THE NCAA LOOKING TO CRACK DOWN ON DEFENSES FAKING INJURIES TO SLOW UP-TEMPO TEAMS

obviously I've coached offense my whole life up until this point. And so, you know we did Clemson we were a fast tempo team and so you know we did feel like at certain times guys may go down to kind of slow down, tempo but yeah I don't have the answer to that. I know, that's, that's a tough problem to solve, because you know you can't have legitimate injuries as well. And now you're having to penalize team for having a legitimate injury at the end of the game. And it's, but also, it probably is an issue that needs to be resolved so I don't have the answer to that question. I have enough, enough issues and problems I'm trying to solve right here that I haven't given that a lot of thought, like for us we want to improve enough to have the game on the line at the end of the game so that really matters. After last season we were, we're not there, no. So, you know, that really has not crossed my mind a whole lot I know it's been talked about on the head coach's call, but I don't have a strong feeling either way on that.

Reactions: US2F_Bulls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News