ADVERTISEMENT

"I had to go through signing day without the recruits knowing how their position coaches were going

ChiTownBull1

Taurus
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2015
https://www.sent-trib.com/sports/cl...ign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Jeff Scott likes watching and listening to introductory news conferences, in part so he can map out what he'll say when his time to become a head coach arrives.

When it finally did and Clemson's co-offensive coordinator was named South Florida's head coach, Scott didn't get to prepare like he wanted.

There was a late-afternoon flight. A trip to the stadium. Dinner. A call from a recruit's father, another from a transfer.

By the time Scott finished his long day, the prep time for his introductory news conference had whittled down to a small window in the wee hours of the morning.

"At 12:45 in the morning, I'm staring at a laptop with a blank screen with a cursor," Scott said Thursday. "I ended up putting my notes together and got to bed around 2, woke up about 5:30 to finalize them and I'm like, 'OK, this is what it's going to be like being a head coach."

"I had to go through signing day without the recruits knowing how their position coaches were going to be," Scott said. "That created a lot of phone conversations to earn some trust and build relationships in a hurry."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News