ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING 2021 Lake Wales PG Walter Clayton Jr. has...

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
...transferred to Bartow High School.

Over the past 12 months, Clayton has been mentioned several times in this forum, and for good reason. USF offered Clayton in the summer of 2018. He was on campus for the 2018 USF Elite Camp last August, the win over UConn in January, I think he returned for the Houston game and his Lake Wales team was at Brian Gregory's team camp in June where he and his mom got extra attention from Brian Gregory and his assistants.

Clayton helped lead Lake Wales to a 22-8 overall record last season, a 6A-District 10 championship and the elite eight of the FHSAA 6A state tournament where they fell to Lakewood (St. Petersburg). Clayton also played football for Lake Wales and holds football offers from Notre Dame, Tennessee, Nebraska and Florida.

Ironically, I had text Clayton Monday afternoon to see how he was doing. The Winter Haven High School head coach text me Tuesday night and tipped me off about the transfer. Before leaving for school Wednesday morning, Clayton replied to my Monday text to tell me that his first day of school was Wednesday because he "transferred to Bartow for better basketball opportunities and it just took a little while for Lake Wales to withdraw me."

Clayton stopped short of confirming it with me, but there are reports that he is giving up basketball and will focus on improving as a basketball player. If that is true, it is my opinion that he will get much better coaching and player development at Bartow than he would at Lake Wales.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News