ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS What happened at USF

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
I’ve been on the phone all day with dozens of sources, including some parents and other sources of information. After speaking with these sources I have pieced together a timeline of events.

On Jan. 13, USF Athletics announced that tier 1 personnel in the USF men’s basketball program tested positive for COVID-19 and the game against Houston, scheduled for Thur. Jan. 14 was postponed.

During practice the day before the positive for COVID-19 tests assistant coach Tom Herrion allegedly made negative comments about the hairstyles of some of the black players. The alleged comments were made on the court and the players were upset by this. The players discussed the comments in the locker room after practice. A couple commented that they can’t wait to get out of here (meaning USF).

Nobody on the coaching staff called out Herrion about his comments which made the players feel even worse about their situation.

During the Covid break some players decided to transfer after the season. Players talked about this amongst themselves. By the time the players were able to practice together to prepare for the Feb. 10 Houston game, more players decided to enter the portal after the season.

The players discussed these things and discussed reporting to the compliance department what coach Herrion said and how it was handled by CBG.

At the next practice Herrion apologized but the players did not feel this was a genuine apology.

During a subsequent practice Herrion attempted to get one of the black players to run faster. In doing so he allegedly said ‘You gotta go faster. Run like you’re running from the police.’

After practice the player went to Herrion’s office to get an apology. Sources say that Herrion didn’t apologize and acted like it wasn’t a big deal and that he didn’t care.

The next day Herrion apologized to the player and said that he was so sorry. The player felt the apology was too nonchalant and suspected that CBG told Herrion apologize to the player so they could move forward.

One source said that Herrion might have been sent home for one day but admitted that he wasn’t 100 percent sure about that.

The players were also upset that none of the staff members stepped up for the kids. Once source said that the staff members acted like nothing happened at all.

On the timing of the players entering the portal…

Most of the players decided to transfer before returning from the Covid break.

All of the players had end of season meetings with CBG on the same day. David Collins had the first meeting early Monday then quickly contacted compliance so that he could get into the portal. Players have paperwork they must fill out, then compliance does its thing and once all that is completed the student-athlete is in the portal.

Justin Brown was and Rashun Williams were next but they were unable to get their paperwork completed and submitted to the compliance department to enter the portal on Monday. So they were officially in the portal on Tuesday. Madut Akec got his paperwork into compliance in time to enter the portal Wednesday, then Xavier Castañeda and Alexis Yetna got their paper work submitted in time to enter the paperwork today.

Compliance has strict deadlines for the transfer portal. One source said it is 4 p.m.

Mar. 18 USF Athletics releases a statement that the school is “aware of troubling concerns that have been reported involving a member of our men’s basketball coaching staff.” The statement also said “an independent review is ongoing and the involved staff member has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of that review. We will have no further comment until that process is complete.”

**Important Update**

I have attended probably 50 practices while CBG has been head coach and Tom Herrion has been on his staff (obviously I didn't attend any this season due to Covid protocols) at USF. In all of those practices I have never seen or heard what my sources told me, and what I ultimately reported, today.

I think it is important that I tell you that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News