ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL USF Player Media Availability 3/25

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Vincent Davis

Feels great about the indoor coming, something they’ve talked about at USF since he was a freshman, seeing the next stage of it and being an older guy through the rainy days and days we couldn’t practice. We are seeing the progress, being on schedule and hitting our game prep on schedule will be beneficial.

Returning a lot of guys on offense and defense like Meech and Brad on the offensive line and on our D with Grier and Boyles on D, it is crunch time for us to win. The senior leadership, the buy-in for everybody is buying in.

One thing that was bad for us was a lack of depth in the secondary, bringing in new guys like AB and Ray Thornton who are older guys we can count on, we want to be a new group and be interchangeable. Need to take the next step.

I love Coach Shoop and he is aggressive and always on edge, our scheme has changed but our play style really makes the scheme and we are putting players in a position to make plays. He is my position coach too and he always says things to get me fired up. I expect good things from my position group and being the leader of the defense.

With a good pass rush the QB has to get it out, without a good one we have to cover 5-7 seconds, instead of one, the pass rush is the first line of defense and that pressure on the QB will be beneficial.

My skill set, I have an interchangeable skill set, I’m playing more of a nickel like I did my freshman year, the last year and the year before that I was in a gap scheme defense as the star and now I can do a lot of different things and especially if I have aspirations of playing at the next level and having that skill set to do differently.

Will Jones really adds to the depth if we can get him back, we know what kind of asset he can be to the team and over Winter Break he is hitting all his checkpoints with his rehab and you just tore your knee and you are doing that already, he is getting back and working on getting his knee strong, I’m excited about it personally to get him back.

On Building from the UCF game, we always went out with a mindset to win, we can out in the War on I-4 with the fire and Coach Sims taking over for that game put in more blitzing and pressure on the QB and we put the game down to the wire and we wanted that game bad, the way we felt we didn’t like that feeling. That will give us more motivation and I haven’t beat UCF and I need that win.

Coach said it already we are an aggressive get in your face, send the blitz, aggressive man, if we make a mistake it will be full speed, everyone is buying into their new roles.

Guys I’ve been working with Ray Thornton, I like him a lot and AB have impressed me, they will be contributors for us.

Matthew Hill

Since coach Schoop came in he has been real intense with every position and he wants everyone to know the playbook like he does, like the back of his hand. We want to really learn the playbook and he is really intense and we are getting the playbook down we will be a dangerous defense.

If we have missed an assignment it has to be with full effort, as long as you are not playing soft, the defense will work.

Since the first snap against NC State, I got more comfortable with myself and the scheme and reading everything, day-by-day I’m getting more comfortable with the defense. I tell my teammates I feel dangerous every time I get on the field and want to be the player I can be out there.

Every time we are at practice we look at the indoor and see the progress, guys peak over the fence to see the outcome. It will be like when we saw the locker room and not having weather cancellations with the indoor.

On getting the pass rush, for DBs it is the hardest job on the field, we are always reacting off what they do, the offense has a set play and we have to line up and adjust to it, without the strong aggressive DL, it is hard for any DB to be successful, as long as any team has a strong pass rush, we should be able to hold on.

On losing Will Jones last year, first when he went down, it made me go harder. The first day of spring ball when I saw him with the shells on I was like oh Will is back, when the season comes and he can be full contact, it will be on. We are all athletes including Will or the new guys we will be even better on the defense. Will is a DB for sure, he is fast, physical and he can cover, he is the best of both worlds, you got to tackle, cover and be in the right place at the right time, he has those attributes.

Last year, based on what is coming up, it makes us want to do better, everyone on the defensive side knew our potential, but we had to get to it, we’ve been working on our flaws, this year I feel we are going to be dangerous and aggressive and we will look back at last year that this was our learning lesson.

I feel like we were the best 2-10 in the country and we will be a lot better, everyone works together as a brotherhood and I think this year will be our year.

TJ Robinson

On the indoor, it is very important to me, to prepare for different types of teams or anything in general, just having the indoor will help us condition during the summer whether it is raining or there is lightning.

On the lack of pass rush impacting DBs, it is very important and I feel like our new DC brings that to the table with his scheme and we will have a lot of pressure in the QBs face this year.

I love coach Shoop’s attitude toward the defense and he wants to take it to the offense.

With our players coming back and the guys being hungry and the close losses like BYU and Tulsa, I think everyone is ready to fight this season.

I like how we are playing a lot, I get to work on my press man and I feel like I struggled with that last season and that will have teams second-guessing us and will bring us a lot more wins next season.

On losing Will Jones last year and see him coming back, I think Will Jones will bring a lot of different things to our defense and he is a great person off the field and this year will be our year. Everyone was disappointed and were worried about him last year and we had to make adjustments and play without him.

The new guys who have joined the secondary will push the guys here already and that will level up the talent and they will make a huge impact here.

Coach Scott and our whole coaching staff push us every single day they push me and push my teammates to be the best we can be every day and it will show this season once we open against BYU in the first game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News