ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL USF Coaching Search Update 11/22

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
We finally have a little insight from the USF end on what is going on with ADMK and the USF football coaching search. Kelly is casting a much wider net than he did the last time and it wasn't that it was super small last time, he is just being much more thorough with the search this time. A high-level USF source let us know that ADMK has spoken to over a dozen potential coaches about the vacant head coaching spot at USF.

Chief among those targets is... Deion Sanders. There is mutual interest in the job. Sanders could help fill the financial void, stimulate fan and media interest in the Bulls, and increase the program's profile when there could be an opportunity to jump on a liferaft out of the AAC by quickly fixing things and dominating the program. With Deion there are strings attached and a little bit of sketchy history as was bought up with the Prime Prep Academy by old "friend" of the program Brett McMurphy. I don't see that being a huge stumbling block. Prime's apparel and additional endorsements are another possible sticking point, but the businesses he works with would likely figure it out to get a piece of the action of a higher-profile job for Prime. His son even has some key endorsements and getting Shedeur Sanders into school as the QB would be the biggest dealbreaker, but from what I've gathered that is not an issue for USF. Sanders wants to be a major city preferably a NFL one with a strong recruiting base. USF would be a great move to strengthen his NFL resume and the money he could generate and excitement would counter concerns over his level of experience as a HC. Sanders would likely need some NIL commitment from USF's boosters before he signed off on coming as well.

Sanders is involved with USF and Colorado, but the Buffs seem to be leaning toward Bronco Mendenhall the ex-BYU and ex-UVA coach who is ready to be back in the game. He is a better fit there.

So who are the other 11-12-13 people that ADMK spoke with? I will assume Jon Gruden is at least a conversation, Willie Simmons should be at least a phone call and why not give Larry Scott a ring. Tom Herman makes sense as well. I'm working on getting confirmation on who he spoke with, but we wanted to share this with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News