ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SUNDAY COACHING SEARCH NUGGETS 12/7

Kelly Quinlan

Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
The person who was supposed to talk with Michael Kelly today about the job is Steve Spurrier Jr. Aka Bubba Spurrier. He wants the job, but understands he doesn't have the same caliber of background. He is currently the outside WRs coach.

Jim Leavitt is in play in a big way per my sources. The only question there involves how willing the school adminstration is to back the hire. He has certainly paid his dues. Leavitt is also in play for the Missouri and Colorado State jobs. He did enjoy living there.

Willie Taggart is less in play, just too much baggage and too soon. The only scenario I could see him coming back is if there were a ton of no votes. Some former players are vocal in their concern about hiring.

I'm expecting another shot from MK on both Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott at Clemson now that the ACC Championship game is over.

Some names who have reached out to USF or been approached by USF.

Gene Chizik- Former Auburn National Champ coach, current ESPN Analyst
Eliah Drinkwitz- App State HC, former NC State OC
D.J. Durkin- Former Maryland HC, former Florida Gator DC, now Atlanta Falcons assistant

Other potential but unconfirmed coaches:
Larry Fedora- Former NC HC, currently Texas analyst
Will Healy- UNC-Charlotte HC, former Austin Peay HC

As an aside

Memphis coaching search shouldn't impact USF, I'm hearing a lot of noise about Hugh Freeze.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News