ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS I continue to hear...

Russ Wood

Taurus
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
...Richard Pitino's name in connection with the USF job. While he'd be smart to parlay his team's good season into another job, I still have my doubts that job will be USF.

Why?

He's reportedly making $2 million this season and USF is not looking to pay that much. There will be P5 openings that will likely pursue Pitino. Also, multiple people close to the Florida program have told me that Pitino was a "disaster" when he was an assistant at UF and a poor in-state recruiter. Granted he was a Gators assistant from 2009-2011, much may have changed for the better for Pitino in regards to his relationships in the Sunshine State. It is crucial that the next head coach at USF needs to build strong relationships throughout the state if the Bulls hope to sign in-state talent that can help them.

Yesterday, for the first time, I heard Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard's name for the USF job. Prior to last season, when the Pirates finished in third place in the Big East and went on to win the Big East Tournament including a win over eventual national champion Villanova, Seton Hall's best season was a 7th place finish in the 2014-15 season. However, the Pirates have slid back to the middle of the Big East pack this season.

Willard's name popping up on the USF radar is evidence of an interesting trend.

-- Richard Pitino is Rick's son

-- Willard was an assistant for Rick Pitino with the Boston Celtics and at Kentucky

-- Steve Massiello, who was the Bulls first choice to replace Stan Heath, played for Rick Pitino at Kentucky and was an assistant under him at Louisville

-- Rick Pitino owns some Outback Steakhouse Restaurants and is tight with Chris T. Sullivan, one of the founders of the restaurant chain.

-- Sullivan is a USF booster.

This is not to suggest that the next head coach for the USF Men's Basketball Program will definitely come from the Rick Pitino coaching tree, nor that the hire must be approved by Sullivan, but the names that are currently blowing in the wind definitely share the same tie-in to the Bulls job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News