ADVERTISEMENT

At what point is Michael Kelly accountable for this mess?

brybull1970

Taurus
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2020
I get that he came into a situation that was riddled with poor decisions prior to his arrival (e.g. Woodlard, Genshaft), but the guy accepted the job and he knew what the landscape was.

The Athletic Department 3+ years into his tenure is now in worse shape than when he took it over:
  • We have been lapped by UCF - when we went to the Big East, UCF replaced us in C-USA, and within 8 years they joined us in the American and 8 years after that they have received a Big 12 invite and we have been relegated
  • The football program was burnt to the ground by allowing Strong his 3rd year, and now we have to painfully watch Scott try and get an FBS win, which now may not happen until 2022
  • The basketball program saw a mass exodus (for various reasons) of it most talented and deep group they have had in 15 years, and he decided to retain a coach who hasn't had a winning conference record since 2008-2009, and has that program trending downwards from a very small peak
  • He piled onto the horrific work done by his predecessors by alienating the remaining fanbase - yesterday's crowd of 5k is a great indicator
  • And most damning, when asked to provide his strategic vision for USF athletics a month ago he points me to a copy of the strategic vision Harlan created 5 years ago!!! He's been in the job 3+ years and he hasn't even communicated HIS detailed strategic vision
  • When pressed about his Top 3 strategic priorities, he could only tell me one, fundraising, but couldn't get around to talking about anything else
  • So, when pressed about fundraising, he replies by complaining to me by saying "Our fanbase ****ing sucks" and provides no solutions
While I am appreciative of the improved APR's and the excellent home-and-home scheduling under his watch, our athletic department is being led by an invisible man who who lacks the urgency, vision and communication skills required of someone in a job as difficult as this one. When you despise the same group your future success is dependent on, you are not the right person for the job.

I am over this clown show and parade of people cashing USF's checks and not providing anything material in return. This is not an easy job and not anyone can do it. Changing the leadership is the only way to change the trajectory of the athletic department now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News