ADVERTISEMENT

Your observations from the game: 2 good--2 that still need improvement

BeachBull

Taurus
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2002
Don't get to come down for too many games anymore, but really enjoyed being here for this one.

Two good things I saw:

1) The QB question completely settled.

As late as last week, I read posts in various places saying that Bench was the better option. No one who watched that game yesterday could possibly make that statement, unless they were completely insane. When you take into account that QF is only 6 games into his career as a starter, his maturation trajectory is outstanding. Side note: Everyone who is anointing AW as the automatic starter next year--not so fast, my friend.

2) The potential of this offense.

There is more potential for this offense than any I've seen at USF. What I saw was a kind of hybrid "read option-spread-power run" offense that I'm not sure I've seen anywhere. Again, given the relative youth of the skill players (think of the players who scored last night), and their relative inexperience within this offense, I am impressed.

Two things that need improvement:

1) Defensive pressure on the QB: We're going to need more of this because of our youth in the secondary. Which leads me to my second thing that needs improvement...

2) Coverage in the secondary: Saw a fair amount of confusion in the coverage schemes last night. Again, we're young back there,for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News